December 30, 2011

Guso




Guso is a seaweed wherein it is mixed with vinegar, onions, tomato and ginger. It is an appetizer and is usually served cold. 

In my 28 years of existence, I never cared to try this delicacy. I find the seaweed gruesome and slimy. But from the time I started going to the province, I decided to take the plunge. Guso is served quite daily as an appetizer or side dish for barbequed fish or barbequed pork. I dipped my fork into the bowl and fork out a forkful of seaweed and shoved it in my mouth. I was expecting for it to taste fishy, slimy and gooey. But it did not and surprise surprise, I love it! I love it so much that I nearly finished the whole serving bowl of guso. It actually tasted good. Seaweed is crunchy with sour taste of the vinegar mixed with the spices.

It is very easy to prepare guso. To clean the guso, you need to wash it over in hot boiling water to get the slime off the seaweeds. Then you mix it with vinegar, onions, tomato and ginger. 

Guso is the native name of the delicacy. However, other parts of the world knew this as "Green Rose".

No comments:

Post a Comment